This page will hopefully chronicle the building of the Flats Stalker 18 from Bateau.com, a plywood composite skiff intended for chasing redfish in extremely shallow water. This will be my first foray into both boat building and web pages. Wish me luck! The posts on this page will only display with the most recent at the top, so if you want to start at the beginning, scroll down to the bottom and work your way up. The archive on the right is in chronological order, however. Most of the pictures can be clicked for a larger image. Feel free to leave comments by clicking the Comments link at the bottom of each post.

Friday, March 30, 2007

Welcome to my weekend.

For those of you building the round chine, if you don't stitch it up fair enough, this could be your weekend too. I've been trying to hit them up every couple days for an hour or so, but I have some time this weekend. That means some serious sanding. Since the garage attaches to the living area in my house, I usually feel bad making that much noise for too long. The timing is good though. I need to have everything ready for next weekend, because Cole and Frank will both be in town and willing to help me tackle the bottom glassing. Sweet.

I've found that hearing protection and an Ipod (read sick jams) are critical to this phase in the build. While you can find a groove and become one with the sander, music helps immensely in attaining this groove. The sixer of Full Sail Amber Lager just adds fuel to the rock. I in no way condone operating power tools while drinking. Unless you're sanding for extended amounts of time. Then it's almost a necessity. Don't think for one second I won't sand like a madman while listening to CoC's "Heaven's Not Overflowing" or "Albatross". Don't you ever think that.

No comments: