This page will hopefully chronicle the building of the Flats Stalker 18 from Bateau.com, a plywood composite skiff intended for chasing redfish in extremely shallow water. This will be my first foray into both boat building and web pages. Wish me luck! The posts on this page will only display with the most recent at the top, so if you want to start at the beginning, scroll down to the bottom and work your way up. The archive on the right is in chronological order, however. Most of the pictures can be clicked for a larger image. Feel free to leave comments by clicking the Comments link at the bottom of each post.

Sunday, March 18, 2007

It's A Boat!!!!

After this weekend, this thing is finally starting to shape up. Let's get started. There are two temporary frames that define the shape of the boat where the cockpit will eventually be. These are cut from cheap materials.

Supports were attached to each frame in order to attach them to the strongback. First they were clamped on.

Then Frank's drill press contraption was used to drill pilot holes for the screws.

Each frame was attached to the strongback using the supports. Each frame has to be adjusted for height level and square. It's kind of a pain in the ass, as each adjustment in one dimension throws the others out of whack.

The stringers were fit in the notches, but the notches weren't deep enough. A few passes with the jigsaw fixed the problem. Here the nearest stringer has been fixed.

Once everything was lined up, it gave a pretty good indication of the shape of the boat.

Next the bottom panels were lined up and the holes for the stitches were drilled the edges.

The panels were then opened up like a book and placed on top of the jig. The side panel were then stitched onto to each side.


I forgot to seal the edges of the transom, so I have to wait for the epoxy to set before I can screw the panels down. Everything lines up pretty well. The bow takes a good bit of force to cinch up and pulls the panels away from frames A, B and C. It will take a little tweaking. The round chine will take a lot of tweaking, however.

Even though this looks like the monster from Tremors, it will eventually be a the front of the boat. It's going to be awesome. I promise.



6 comments:

Misty said...

I'm not interested unless you have to use a parbuckle at some point.

Frank said...

Elie will use one when he is tranferring booty from his boat to my canoe.

Elie said...

The only booty that is going to be transferred out of this boat is when I fall my big ass off the poling platform into the water. Luckily it should only be about 4" deep. :)

Misty said...

Elie

It's Misty from high school. You may have heard the dirty word about me putting together the reunion (what I know ridiculous, huh?)
Now that I'm done stalking here's my email misty.pounders@gmail.com and the website is www.fwb1997.myevent.com.
Delete this comment since it has nothing to do with building sexy boats.

I feel like a troll :)

Peace.

Elie said...

Hey Misty! I was actually wondering if that was you. Thanks for the update. The website 's really cool. All you people need to slow down and stop having kids so fast. I'll never catch up at this rate. Is there a date for the reunion yet?

Misty said...

Yes. It is October 20 and 21. Possible a mixer on the 19th but don't hold your breath. What the hell is a mixer anyway? There is going to be the main dinner, a family picnic and a crab island get together (the skiff would be awesome in this, ha) I have secured the places today. I have way too many kids. But damn they are hiliarious.