This page will hopefully chronicle the building of the Flats Stalker 18 from Bateau.com, a plywood composite skiff intended for chasing redfish in extremely shallow water. This will be my first foray into both boat building and web pages. Wish me luck! The posts on this page will only display with the most recent at the top, so if you want to start at the beginning, scroll down to the bottom and work your way up. The archive on the right is in chronological order, however. Most of the pictures can be clicked for a larger image. Feel free to leave comments by clicking the Comments link at the bottom of each post.

Thursday, April 5, 2007

Sanding

Holy balls, am I tired of sanding?!!!!! I should know. I do it everyday now. Come home from work. Slap on some 60 grit. And go to town for an hour or two.

Sand. Fill. Sand. Fill. Sand. Fill. But I feel like I'm getting somewhere. The boat is close to being ready for glass. It better be because come hell or high water, I'm glassing the outside of the hull this weekend. To prove to everyone that I really have been working on the boat, here are some pics.




The bow still needs a little work, as does the keel line where the bow starts to turn up. Overall it's shaping up OK. It doesn't really show up well in the pictures because of the patchiness of the filler, but the chines are smooth. The quest for perfection eventually turns into the hope that "the best I can do" doesn't look like "a big piece of crap". I mean how good is good enough? I don't freaking know. I've never done this before. But however good it looks tomorrow night, that's about as good as it's going to get. Cole and Frank will be around this weekend, this cold front is going to screw up the fishing, and I'm tired of smelling like epoxy dust all the time, soooo.......bring on the glass! Updates as soon as something cool happens.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The 12 oz biaxial tape & cloth will cover up and fill up some of the irregularities you're probably fussing over. The bow seams get a four layers of glass - that builds up a pretty thick layer.

Have some disposable scissors ready for those loose threads at the edge of the fabric - they drove me nuts.

Good luck - Bob