This page will hopefully chronicle the building of the Flats Stalker 18 from Bateau.com, a plywood composite skiff intended for chasing redfish in extremely shallow water. This will be my first foray into both boat building and web pages. Wish me luck! The posts on this page will only display with the most recent at the top, so if you want to start at the beginning, scroll down to the bottom and work your way up. The archive on the right is in chronological order, however. Most of the pictures can be clicked for a larger image. Feel free to leave comments by clicking the Comments link at the bottom of each post.

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Finally Some Epoxy

My build crew has abandoned me for the weekend, so no kickass action shots. Seems things like "working on their own boat" or "snook fishing" in "Tampa" are more exciting that watching me cut out hull panels. It boggles the mind. Anyway, I finally got everything cut out today. Most of the hull panels have to be cut in duplicate, so I stacked one panel on top of another to cut them. The cordless circular saw just couldn't hang, so I just went with a standard model that I own. Much easier. I should have just used that from the beginning. Unfortunately, in my excitement of cutting the very last panel, I forgot that it isn't doubled. I now have two extra tips for the front and tide panels and more stringer material than I need. I ordered one extra sheet in each size of ply to account for any screwups and man did I use the 1/4" one. Oh well. If this is the biggest screw up I make, I'll be pumped. I should be able to use a lot of the pieces as source for cleats and backing plates.

After getting everything cut out, it was time to start glassing. Because I don't have enough room, I have to use the strongback as a laminating table to glue up all my long hull panels before I can set up all the frames for stitching. First I put down plastic, so I don't glue everything to the table.

I aligned one side panel and one bottom panel on the strongback and then shot a few finish nails though them to keep them from moving. The build notes suggest that anywhere a fiberglass splice is made the ply be ground down to aid fairing later. A belt sander or even an angle grinder would be the best tool for this. I had an RO. It took a while, and I'm not sure I took enough off, but I got through one ply anyway.

Please disregard the uneven way the the panels meet. One is cut too fat and I figured it would be better to smooth then after they're joined. Two seems per panel.


Next I laid out everything that I would need to make each splice. A piece of 12 oz. biaxial tape cut to size and a sheet of plastic as poor man's peel ply.

The only experience I've had with glass is the 6 oz. woven cloth on Frank's canoe. This stuff is way burlier, basically two layers of glass at 45 degree angles held together with cotton or linen stitching. It's much more difficult to wet out.

Each joint was precoated with the Silvertip laminating resin. The glass tape was laid on and then resin forced into it with a paintbrush. Then the plastic sheeting was put on and smoothed as best as possible using both hands and a piece of PVC like a rolling pin. A curing splice looks like this.

The excess glass will be trimmed off when the epoxy is "green". This means its partially cured, with a consistency something like that of cheese.


This is where things stand after almost a full day of work. I would really like to reach a point where I can set up the frames and start stitching this week. A little more space would make this step much faster. Hopefully will have a new post tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spook,

I am glad to see that you are making some progress. Things look very nice for you. I am also glad to see that some of the extracurriculars have ceased, or at least slowed down. I have been following your build since the FS18 came out, it's not really my "thing", more of a TX 18 kinda guy, but nonetheless, a very neat program and it's great to see your progress.
Let me say this, bully to ya for keeping your head and taking the high road during the storm. You have really shown yourself to be the bigger person. I understand the excitement that comes with the idea of building your own boat, and I also know the dissapointment that comes when people rain on your parade. Keep on keepin' on man, things look great.
By the way, this is Ponyboy from over in Bateau Land, I'm one of the lurkers everyone keeps talking about, at least until my wife finishes school, then I'll be one of them cool builder guys.
Good Luck, keep it up.

Elie said...

Thanks for the support man. Hopefully this project will turn out well. You might want to start your build now while your wife is occupied with school :) Thus far, it's been an obsession for me. I think my girlfriend is starting to get lonely with me in the garage all the time.