This page will hopefully chronicle the building of the Flats Stalker 18 from Bateau.com, a plywood composite skiff intended for chasing redfish in extremely shallow water. This will be my first foray into both boat building and web pages. Wish me luck! The posts on this page will only display with the most recent at the top, so if you want to start at the beginning, scroll down to the bottom and work your way up. The archive on the right is in chronological order, however. Most of the pictures can be clicked for a larger image. Feel free to leave comments by clicking the Comments link at the bottom of each post.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Speed Testing

I got the FS18 up to 70 mph today......


.....and my bike........



.......at the same time!!!




I have successfully moved the boat to my mom's house in the Panhandle. No problems during transport, but a nerve wracking experience nonetheless. I had visions of all my hard work tumbling down the highway the whole time. It shifted a little during the move but not enough to be a problem. Everyone who has seen it so far has said that it's considerably larger than the impression that they got from this site. That's a good thing I guess. I was really lucky in that I didn't run into any rain on the whole 5 hour drive. If you've ever been to the area, you'll know that to drive anywhere along the Gulf Coast of Florida on a summer afternoon and not encounter torrential downpours rolling in from the water is a statistical anomaly. I was a little concerned with how well I had epoxy sealed all the wood, so I was glad it ended up being a non-issue.

The next few weeks will be devoted to packing, moving, unpacking, and settling in to the new house and new job. After all that is finished, I can start working on the boat again. So expect updates in a few weeks once everything has calmed down.

Elie

4 comments:

Frank said...

Whats up brotha from anotha motha, I have not heard from you in a while. How is everything, the move, the fiance, the house, the job? Whats going on? I hope your adjusting well. Did you end up epoxying Capn Gnarly to the moving truck? I hope Uhaul didn't mind the missing paint on the hood.
Lata,
Frank

Elie said...

What's up man? Everything's going well, just moving very fast. The job is pretty cool, just a little overwhelming at first. I'm learning as much as I can, as fast as I can. I didn't think that any skills would carry over from science, but I'm finding that most of construction lies in long term planning and extreme attention to detail. What is biology if not that? The houses we build are incredible. One we're working on right now is 10,000 sq. ft. and 3.4 million dollars. And it's a vacation home.

The house we're staying in is pretty cool. Probably circa 1920's, but redone. About 50' from the bay, but just quirky enough to motivate us to start building our house. Once we get more settled in, you guys have to come up. Between the houses we build and the places to canoe, I think you'd be into it.

Speaking of moving fast, Stef and I have already found a set of plans that we like for the house we'll build. We'll have them tweaked by the architect a little bit, but they're really close. My dad wants to start the job in the spring. It will something of a trial by fire for me, a great learning experience. By the time it's finished, Stef and will have to be married for financing reasons. Did I mention things are moving fast. I'll start doing a better job of keeping in touch and hopefully start working on the boat soon.

The Gnarled One didn't make the trip on the hood, but he did navigate from the dashboard. Epoxy dust and all. Later.

Elie

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting your trials and tribulations! I'm beginning to build a smaller boat using many of your same methods and I'm note really sure what to expect. This has been a great read!
-Fred

CH said...

You must UPDATE.

Show us the FS's new home!