This page will hopefully chronicle the building of the Flats Stalker 18 from Bateau.com, a plywood composite skiff intended for chasing redfish in extremely shallow water. This will be my first foray into both boat building and web pages. Wish me luck! The posts on this page will only display with the most recent at the top, so if you want to start at the beginning, scroll down to the bottom and work your way up. The archive on the right is in chronological order, however. Most of the pictures can be clicked for a larger image. Feel free to leave comments by clicking the Comments link at the bottom of each post.

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Inside Glass

I've been working like a demon on the boat recently in order to get it ready to move tomorrow. I put in 10 hours on it today and with the help of a modified build crew, got the inside glass finished. After prepping the boat in the morning, Frank and Matt came over to help. Things went much more quickly and smoothly than the outside job did, but I guess that's what experience gets you. The procedure was essentially the same as last time, taping the seams, then laying the glass cloth on top of everything. The only differences were that we skipped the peel ply this time and that the seams first required a putty fillet with a 1/2" radius so the glass would take the turn. Almost all the glass here will be either covered by the sole, or hidden under the decks so the peel ply would have been more work than it was worth.

Precoated panels, fillets in place, overlapped tape on keel:


Chines taped:


12 oz. biaxial cloth laid out, cutting down centerline for the bow fold:



Frank of "Frank's Canoe" fame, me, and Matt, professional termite sorter:



Putting together the bow overlap.



No real pictures of the glassing process. We used the squeegees primarily, and it worked out great. Prior to starting today, I cinched the the ratchet straps down on the frames and measured the width at each one. This way when we were done glassing I would know how much to pull the sides in even though the frames had been removed. Hopefully, this will help me get the shape I want when it's time to put the frames back in.





I differed from the plans a little and ran the cloth all the way up the transom. I probably could have glued together my transom sandwich a little better when I started, so I figured this couldn't hurt.



I'm pumped about how the inside laminate has turned out. It looks great. I can't thank Frank and Matt enough. I couldn't have finished this on my own today and I HAVE to get this thing out of here tomorrow. My jackbag of a landlord is going back on his word and kicking us out a week early. Gotta get moving. Thanks guys.

Elie

1 comment:

Jesse said...

looking good! So you guys are on the road today?? drive safe.